Tuesday 24 March 2015

Sea Bass & Crispy Panchetta: A Recipe From Jamie's 30 Minute Meals

In my first post of this blog, I asked: Can recipes from famous cookbooks be effectively followed and adjusted to meet a Type 1’s dietary needs? 


To answer this question I used Jamie's 30 Minute Meals(2010), by non other than Jamie Oliver. Jamie's aim in this book is to boost efficiency in the kitchen and encourage people to cook healthy meals quickly. I'll admit, my 30 minute meal took me 41 minutes and 59 seconds, but I am a notoriously slow cook! I wanted to cook a fish dish as omega-3 helps to prevent heart disease, a common complication of Type 1 Diabetes. So I had a go at his "Sea Bass & Crispy Pancetta [with a] Sweet Potato Mash"(180) 


This recipe was easy to follow and a lot of fun to make. The language used in the method was clear and precise. The best thing about it is I din't have to edit the main meal to fit my dietary needs (just omit the ice cream and lemon ginger drink). Fish is great for my heart; sweet potato is a fantastic choice as it is a low GI carbohydrate (meaning the glucose breaks down slowly); and green veg like asparagus and broccoli contain no carbs.


Jamie's recipe takes you step by step through the cooking process, saving time and improving your cooking technique. I found the tip "SEA BASS Check the fish - once the skin is golden and crispy, turn the heat down to low - but have the confidence to let the skin become good and crispy before reducing the heat"(182) especially useful. Turning the heat down too soon out of fear of overcooking the fish is something I had always done before reading this,


This meal released plenty of happy hormones, and after eating this meal my blood sugars were in range 2 hours after eating. I'd give this dish a 9/10 and will be cooking it again. Thanks Jamie! 



2 comments:

  1. Another lovely post Toni - couldn't help but laugh at your reaction to the student cookbook and I understand your frustrations :)) love the way you talk about Jamie and his style. The picture of the food you made looks delicious and healthy, I'll consider purchasing his book. Look forward to your other posts.

    ReplyDelete